when i first started dating brady (which can also be considered as the time that i married brady, yeah it was quick) i was slightly intimidated talking to him because he was always using such big words...
big words like
capricious and
pernicious and
oneiric and
a whole lot of other words i can't think of right now...
i was still a student at the time, and as a result felt a little more confident in my ability to match his itellect.....i at least understood all the words he said. maybe they weren't the first ones to pop out of my mouth, but nonetheless i was not left in the dark during our conversations...no where near, not even in the shadows.
what i am trying to say is i have never considered that i might actually digress in knowledge and in my ability to speak the english language...
my native toungue, the way i express myself....
but i have.
i find myself stopping mid sentence trying to recall words that i know i know, words that describe my thoughts so perfectly, yet, nothing.
i go blank.
lots of 'um's' and snapping of my fingers follow and i forget what the entire point of this sentence is that i am trying so hard to complete.
maybe it's too much tv, too much sleep (impossible), to little reading, too much mickey mouse clubhouse, or not enough 'adult conversation'.
whatever the problem, i am taking some action. starting now.
insalubrious
that will be my first new word of the week.
it means: unfavorable to health; unwholesome
i first came upon it in kim by rudyard kipling...
i will use it in a sentence this week in a natural, not forced sort of way.
i am going to keep finding words that i understand (sort of) in context, but need some practice incorporating into my daily vocabulary...
now i know for all you henry higgins out there this may seem very silly....and insalubrious might just roll of the tip of your toungue frequently.
to this i say, congratulations...and help me! i love to communicate (especially in the form of talking), i just want to do it better...
so, insalubrious...
can you use it in a sentence?
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
vocabulary building....
Posted by brooke at 11:17 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I love reading your posts you make me laugh! I have these same problems and I attribute them to what I call the "mommy brain syndrome" Some people say it happens when you are pregnant, I have found mine never went away, so I like your goal its a good one :)
i am the queen of fumbling over my words. and always at the most inopportune times. like when trying to impress husbands boss...
it's a nice little goal you have going on here.
Why does the voice that does the pronunciation on the website that you have linked to the word sound like Barry White?
my co-workers call me henry higgins, you know...
not because i use big words, but because i correct them when they use them wrong.
i would never do that to you, though. mostly because we don't really know each other... and that would be offensive.
but to know me is to love me. i promise.
Well Brooke, I bet he doesn't know what a lemon popsicle means! So take that to the bank and cash it Brady!! And Lemon Popsicles are soooo not Insalubrious!
Are you quite certain that vocabulary building exercises are not themselves insalubrious? You can be so infatuated with sounding out the lush, wet sounds of in-sa-loooo-brrree-us that you trip into tress or stumble on the sidewalk.
Course, I'm still looking for a way to slip barmecidal into a church talk ... if only I thought it would communicate anything to anyone! As a result, I am more likely to think that vocabulary building exercises are barmecidal than insalubrious.
Post a Comment