Monday, April 7, 2008

Decisions, decisions

So maybe y'all can help us out. As most of you know, we are going to grad school this year. So far we have only managed to narrow the choice down to two different schools. Brady is pretty smart, so they are both good options, both with their pros and cons, both in New York. Let me break it down...

The first option is Cornell. It is in Ithaca NY a quaint little town right on the southern tip of the fingerlakes. It's a really nice area, a smaller town maybe around 30,000 people and everyone who has been there tells us how nice it is. Cornell is an Ivy League School and Brady would get his MPA in 2 years. The program is competitive, but we are not sure where it is ranked as it wasn't last year, according to the school only because they don't really do all the PR necessary to get ranked. They have also offered Brady a fellowship worth about 22K a year to put towards school which costs 36K a year, plus we would be borrowing some living expenses too. Overall though, no one would look down upon a masters degree from Cornell.

The second choice is Syracuse, at the Maxwell school. Syracuse is about 60-70 miles NE of Ithaca, and almost 3 times as big, and from what we heard, not a nice town, 'kinda dumpy' in the words of Jim, Brady's uncle. The Maxwell school is ranked #1 in the Nation and the program Brady has been accepted to only accepts 20 students every year! He would get his MPA/IR degrees in 2 years, so 2 masters degrees. They have not been able to offer us any financial help and we would be looking at around 65-68K just for school in student loans, not to mention living expenses. It is a very competitive school and a huge compliment to Brady that he was accepted. Overall, it would also be a very good choice. The Maxwell school is VERY well known out in the real working world.

So this is our dilemma!!!! Where do we go, trust me we have done EVERYTHING to 'get' the answer that is 'right' for us, and we are still at this wall.... so if any of you can help or have any advice, what you think we need to think about, any insight or important things that have been overlooked, we (esp. Brady) would love to hear what you have to say! Thanks!

10 comments:

Tiffini said...

I see where your back is up against the wall. I like Syracuse it is kinda dumpy but not that bad I've seen worse. Either place is BEAUTIFUL!!! I think that even though Cornell isn't ranked just the name on the resume would say it all. My say would be Cornell especially since you will be getting financial help and not putting yourselves in the college money trap. I am so proud of Brady for being excepted to both of those schools. Hopefully something I said will help you guys out and good luck choosing.

Tiffini said...

Oh yeah plus I'm glad he got excepted to those schools......... you're closer to us :)

Cindy said...

That's a tough call. Do you think a degree from the Maxwell school would result in a much higher salary in the end? If not, I would lean towards Cornell becuase you'll have so much less debt. You'd have to make quite a bit more to make up for the cost of tuition.
Anyway, that's one of the things that I would be thinking about if I had to make the decision.
I'm sure you've already thought of that, as well as everything else out there. It's not easy. Good luck with your decision. He's smart enough to be successful in any path you choose.
Oh by the way, do you ever watch The Office? According to Andy, Cornell is best.

Jennikunz said...

Debt sucks! Go to Cornell.. it would be less stressful on the three of you finaincally! I do have a friend who went to syracuse... she loved it. BUT The financial aspect of it, I'd say Cornell.
Just my 2 cents knowing nothing else but how much debt can but a starin on a family!

Paul said...

I'm with everyone else- I vote Cornell too, although I hear Dixie State College is very reputable ha ha! Anyway, it kinda sounds to me like you are leaning more towards Cornell as well. I would go where financial aide is available, but you know all about me and my cheapness ha ha. Well, keep praying about it and the Lord will give you an answer.

THE FAMILY OF OAK said...

Hey Brooke. This is a tough one because yeah the debt sucks, but you are going to end up with debt anyway. Which place is more likely to help him get hired at a higher pay? I know that 80k seems like TONS now, but if he gets hired faster and at more than 80k a year, won't it be worth it? Do you have the option to check both places out? Where do you want to live during the process of him getting his degree? I think both will look great on a resume. Don't let the debt sway the choice is my opinion. I know that it can put a damper on marriages, but you and Brady will be fine. I don't see either of you letting that effect you. KWIM?

Anonymous said...

Hey Brooke,
My name is Jason Staley and I am one of Brady's Mission buddies. I have not seen him for several years. To sum it up I headed to India at the end of the week so I pulled out some pictures he sent me of India. So I thought I would see if I could find you guys. Anyway if you could give him my e-mail Jstaley@intelisum.com that would be cool. I'm glad to see life worked out well for him and it sounds like he found a great wife. Anyway my vote is for Cornell because it is in Ithaca.
Cheers,
Jason

Brad and Jana said...

It was fun seeing you at wic the other day! Your blog is cute and it is fun to see how your family is doing! Jana

THE FAMILY OF OAK said...

agreed

Kalli said...

NEW POST PLEASE :) I mean I know I live with you and all but I am getting sick of clicking on the big decision when it is already made now you could at least post where you are going gosh!! Love ya :)